Ask Charla: How to Read Runes
Welcome to another edition of ‘Ask Charla’! I’ve been enjoying answering your questions for the past few weeks. I hope that you have been finding the answers enlightening and informative. This week is all about runes, so let’s get to our question.
Runes are one of the best divination tools to keep in your tool box when we need guidance on the life predicaments that the Universe sends our way. Whether your little wrinkle in life is big or small, they are helpful in pointing out the details of those problems so that we can work through them efficiently.
Similarly to a tarot reading where you shuffle your cards and deal out a spread, runes work exactly the same. Each set of runes is a set of 24 to 33 stones, and each stone has its own unique symbol on it. There are different versions of runes, some of the older versions only have 24 stones, some of the newer sets have up to 33 depending on which culture developed them.
There is no wrong number here. Whether your set has 24, 27, 33, your runes are yours and yours for a reason. When you get your runes, you will get a little pouch to keep them in. This is how you should always store your runes so you don’t lose one!
The Two Components of a Rune Reading
Now, when it comes to readings, there are two components to every spread. The two components are the draw of your stones, and then the reading or interpreting what those runes mean relevant to the question that you asked.
It is very important to stay in tune with the Universe during your entire reading, as your intuition will help guide you in both steps. You need to focus and clear your mind before you begin to draw and read the runes or else you may get a middled answer.
The Drawing of the Runes
First for the draw. For any reading, start off with all of the runes in your pouch and shake up or gently toss the stones in your pouch. This is the same thing we do when we shuffle tarot cards. Use your energy to move your runes around. Then you are going to pick out nine.
For this reading, it’s important to keep the runes in your hand as you are drawing them. Hang onto them as you choose more runes. Then, when you have all nine runes in your hand, drop them or place them on the table in front of you, letting them fall as they may. Some will fall in the center, some will fall around the edges, some will fall face up, some will fall face down. Don’t move a thing! This is your reading, or your rune spread now.
How to Read the Runes
Center: The runes that are in the enter face up are the runes that represent your current situation.
Face Down: The runes that are face down are the runes pertaining to the time frame that you can’t yet see. It represents the future.
Around the Edges: The Runes that have fallen around the edges of the reading, are the symbols that represent outside influences on your situation. Let’s say you are asking about a work situation, and you see a card of movement such as Raidho/Chariot, then you have an answer right there. You are being told, an outside influence (such as another person, or job opportunity) is going to help you see some movement in the work question you are asking about right now.
Related Article: An Introduction to Rune Stones
How to Use Your Intuition During a Rune Reading
Now that you have an idea of what the layout, or spread, of your rune stone reading is going to be, another important tool you will need here is your intuition! Generally speaking, I like to say the first thing that comes to your mind when you take a first look at the spread will be an important answer to your question.
This will happen to you often during your reading, as you look at it generally, as you pick up each rune and examine it individually. A word or an idea or a vision will come to you when you are focusing on your spread, write that down or keep it in mind as you go about your reading.
For example, let’s look at that work reading again. You are going to the runes to see if you are going to get a raise soon. When you first drop your runes onto your table or scarf in front of you, the first thing that jumps out is a rune that has fallen face up and has symbol that looks like the number five on it.
The symbol may not actually be a may not be a five, but that stands out to you when you first see it. That “thing” that pops out to you may come with a thought, or a hunch, “Oh I like that five, I wonder if that means a $5,000 raise?”
When ideas or actual thoughts like this come to us, it is our intuition telling us something specific. That was perceived by you to be a five in this reading for a reason. That is not an accident, you are not making that up or ‘going crazy’ because there is no five in a Rune set. If what you saw felt like a five then that is significant to you. Nothing is insignificant in any reading.
As you do your reading, keep this in mind when certain symbols or elements come up to you along the way. Let’s say the Raidho/Chariot Rune shows up in the future. Use your intuition to tell you what that means, focus on the rune and think about your question. Pay attention to every thought or hunch that comes your way.
Does this rune mean you are going to be riding a chariot in the future? It actually could. It could mean you are getting a new car, will be given a company car, or experience a journey of some sort. This rune could represent travel, movement, victory, or success. Refer to your book or the guidelines on the internet to find out what each rune means.
How to do the Rune Reading
The steps to do a rune reading are very simple now that you understand its true purpose and intent.
1. First, get your runes. 2. Second, put them all in the pouch and toss them gently while thinking about the question you want to be answered.
3. Third, take out, or draw, nine runes from the bag in any way that you like and keep them in your hand until you have all none.
4. Fourth, drop the runes onto your table or scarf in front of you. Pay attention to what runes fall in the center, face down, and around the edges of the situation at hand.
5. Start reading the runes in the center one by one, but not any runes that are face down. Remember that these represent you and the current state of the situation you are asking about. These will give you an idea about what the reality of the situation is, instead of just your perceptions. Be open minded here, you may see something about your current situation that you weren’t aware of when you asked your question. Take notes as you go through each rune.
6. Next, read the runes that are around the edges of the spread that has dropped. Remember that these runes represent outside influences. As these are outside influences, you have no control over them. Someone might help you, an actual storm may be on its way (there’s even a Rune for rain!) Take notes on these as well. Again, you will probably learn more about your situation here because these are external influences that not only do you not have control over, but you also can’t see them happening right now either. You may learn in these runes that someone is trying to sabotage your success in this current question. Don’t gloss over these runes, you are consulting the runes to answer that which you do not already know. This is important information, so really listen to that inside voice during this section.
7. Now we are going to look at what the future holds in this situation. If there is only one rune face down, that is your future outcome. If there are two runes face down, the first one you turn over represents one to six months ahead, and the second one represents six to twelve months ahead. If there are three or four runes face down, your runes are saying most of the movement in this situation is happening in the future. Break these down to 1-3, 3-6, 6-9, and 9-12 month sections depending on how many runes you have face down.
Related Article: Using Rune Stones for Guidance in Love