Your Zodiac Sign’s Perfect Holiday Drink
Here come the holidays and depending on where you’re headed and who’s meeting you there, you may need more reasons to stay in the holiday spirit. Let’s take a peek at some festively delicious liquid concoctions that can make your décor a full knock out – plus help you get a little tipsy!
Leave it to Aries to get the party started! Rams are natural leaders, so everyone will want what you’re having. Make an impression and confirm your fearless rep by actually lighting this bad boy on fire – make sure you have a full audience first, of course.
Café D’Amour Cocktail (mixthatdrink.com)
- 1 1/4 oz. cognac
- 5 oz. hot black coffee
- cinnamon stick
- 1/2 lemon
- Rim a coffee mug by rubbing lemon juice over the rim, then stamp and twist it down in a saucer of sugar.
- Simmer the coffee with the zest from half a lemon, the cinnamon stick and sugar to taste in a saucepan.
- Pour the cognac into a soup ladle and ignite it, then add it to the coffee and put out the flame.
- Strain the mix into a cup and serve.
Drop the mic after you serve these – no one will top you, just as you like it! Competitive Leo wants to be the best and you crave the title of Host/ess with the Most/est. What can blow everyone away faster than 5-layer freaking jello shots?! (Also - edible gold glitter?!) This one takes more prep time, but you know that hard work pays off. (Change the color to match the theme of your fete.)
Green Ombre Jello Shots (tablespoon.com)
- 3 cups lemonade
- 4 envelopes unflavored gelatin (or 10 tsp.)
- 2 tbsp. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whipped cream-flavored vodka
- Green food coloring
- 9x9-inch square pan
- Edible glitter (optional)
- Pour lemonade into a medium-sized saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin on top, let sit for a minute to bloom, then whisk to combine.
- Place a saucepan on medium to high heat and bring lemonade to a simmer (do not boil).
- Remove from heat and add condensed milk, then whisk to combine.
- Add vodka. Separate lemonade and vodka gelatin evenly into 3 cups (about 1-1/4 cup each).
- Starting with the lightest color green, add a small drop of green food coloring into one bowl.
- Add two or more drops to the next bowl, making it a slightly darker shade green.
- Add 3-4 drops of green food coloring to the last bowl, making it the darkest color green.
- Spray your pan, then wipe clean, leaving only a slight residue.
- Add lightest green gelatin mixture, put in fridge 15 mins or until slightly sticky but not totally firm.
- Repeat the last step with 1/2 cup of the medium shade of green gelatin.
- Repeat the last step with 1/2 cup of the darkest shade of green gelatin.
- Repeat these steps until there’s no more gelatin mixture. Put back in the fridge for 2 hours or until completely set and firm.
- When completely firm, run a butter knife along edges of the pan, then run hot water carefully along the bottom of the pan with your hand to secure the gelatin.
- When you feel it release, flip it over onto a cutting board and slice into squares. Top with whipped cream and edible glitter. Refrigerate until serving.
Adventurous is your middle name, and as find-a-silver-lining, as you can be, you also tell it like it is, with no filter. Amid all of these fruity, sparkly and sugary drinks, maybe the most out of the box you can get is to go simple – and for those who appreciate a good beer, this updated version may be the welcome they need to have that philosophical convo you’ve been craving.
The Beer, Bourbon & Barbeque Cocktail (#6 on thespruceeats.com)
For the BBQ Water:
- 1 (19 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce (Jack Daniel’s Honey Smokehouse)
- 19 oz. hot water (about 2 1/3 cups)
For the Cocktail:
- 1 1/2 oz. bourbon whiskey
- 1 oz. honey whiskey liqueur (Evan Williams Honey Reserve)
- 1 oz. BBQ water
- 1/4 whole orange (juiced)
- Garnish: 1 (12-ounce) bottle hefeweizen beer (Shiner)
Make the BBQ Water:
- In a mixing bowl, combine barbecue sauce with an equal part of steaming hot water.
- Whisk until fully incorporated.
- Let sit to cool, or refrigerate.
Make the Cocktail:
One of the most surprising parts of this cocktail is how the beer is treated. Unlike most beer mixed drinks, we are only using the foam as a garnish to top off the drink. In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the liquors and BBQ Water. Squeeze the orange juice into the shaker as well.
- Shake vigorously (be sure to do it in the shaker and not the bottle).
- Strain into a cocktail glass.
- Pour a quarter of a bottle of beer into a cocktail shaker.
- Shake until foamy.
- Spoon the beer foam on top of the cocktail to garnish.
Tasteful Taurus knows how to make an understated impression, so we found a cocktail as put together as you are! Sensual bulls are drawn to more than just looks – they admire all five senses - and this aromatic drink is as beautiful as it is delicious.
Cranberry Clementine White Sangria (mindfulavocado.com)
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 4-5 clementines, quartered (can substitute with oranges)
- club soda
- Rosemary sprigs (for garnish, optional)
- Place cranberries, agave, and clementines into a large pitcher.
- Pour white wine and mix well.
- Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- When ready to serve, pour in glasses and top off with some club soda.
- Garnish with fruit and rosemary.
Crisp, properly put together Virgo will appreciate this fresh and no-nonsense cocktail, made with the sharp taste of apples and the herbal comfort that comes with rosemary. No muss, no fuss – this drink is straightforward, transparent, and clean-cut – just like Virgo!
The Whiskey Rose (annesage.com)
- 1.5 oz. rye whiskey
- 1/2 oz. rosemary simple syrup (1 cup sugar, 1 cup water)
- 1/2 oz. lemon juice
- Sparkling apple soda
- A sprig of rosemary and slice of apple for garnish
- First, make the Rosemary Simple Syrup.
- Add sugar and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once sugar is dissolved, remove from the heat and add 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- Once it has cooled, strain the simple syrup and place it in a lid tight container.
- Keep any extra refrigerated.
- In a cocktail glass, stir together whiskey, simple syrup, and lemon juice.
- Add a scoop of ice. Top with sparkling apple soda, then dash with bitters.
- Garnish with rosemary and apple slice.
Traditional Caps like to pay homage to old routines and highly value their families, so for you, it’s some good ol’ punch – with a nod to the matriarch of the bunch. This is the virgin version, but if buttoned up Cap wants to let loose, add some Malibu to make things interesting!
Grandma’s Christmas Punch (thekitchenismyplayground.com)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 cups orange juice
- 1 (46 oz.) can pineapple juice
- 1 (10 oz.) jar maraschino cherries and the juice
- 2-liter bottle ginger ale
- Place sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring very frequently, to dissolve sugar. Set this sugar syrup aside to cool.
- In a large pitcher or bowl, combine cooled sugar syrup, orange juice, pineapple juice, cherries, and cherry juice
- Stir until well mixed, refrigerate until ready to serve
- When ready to serve, add ginger ale to the juice mixture to taste
Nothing drives Gemini crazy like boredom. They want to be WOWED! The sign of the twins needs a constant stream of information, ideas and perspectives to stay alert. This amazing, color-changing cocktail will delight and inspire even the grouchiest of house guests – and you’ll capture the attention of everyone in the room when you make the magic happen.
Kiwi Lime & Mint Magic Julep (theflavorblender.com)
- 3/4 oz. kiwifruit juice (no pulp)
- 1 slice of kiwifruit
- 1/4 lime
- 10 mint leaves
- 1/4 oz. lime juice
- 1/2 oz. agave or simple syrup
- 1/2 oz. creme de menthe
- 1 1/2 oz. butterfly pea infused vodka
- Crushed ice and crushed magic ice
- Add the kiwifruit juice, mint leaves, kiwi fruit, lime quarter, and sugar syrup in a julep cup. Muddle until the mint leaves are crushed.
- Add creme de menthe and crushed ice to fill the glass. Pour the lime juice over the ice, followed by the butterfly pea infused vodka.
- Top with crushed color-changing magic ice and serve. Let your guests stir the drink to see the color change.
Decadence? Venus-ruled Libra doesn’t mind indulging in the finer things in life and this rich, melt in your mouth cocktail will not let you down. Serve in an elegant glass and maintain your fashionable reputation during all those holiday bashes you’re hosting!
Grasshopper Cocktail (simplyrecipes.com)
- 1 oz. crème de menthe
- 1 oz. white crème de cacao
- 2 oz. heavy cream
- Special equipment: Cocktail shaker, Coupe glass
- Shake: Place the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake well for about 10 seconds.
- Strain: Strain the cocktail into a chilled coupe or martini glass. Serve immediately.
Intellectual Aquarius likes a good puzzle to solve – and all your guests will wonder exactly what goes in this vibrant and eye-catching cocktail! Ever innovative, you are the unicorns of the zodiac, so here’s an appropriate holiday drink to match your unique personality.
The Lavender Unicorn (cosmopolitan.com)
- 1 1/5 oz. vodka
- 3/4 oz. lavender honey syrup
- 2 oz. sparkling water
- 2 drops Butterfly Pea Tea Extract
- 3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice
- In a highball glass, add vodka, syrup, sparkling water, and Butterfly Pea Tea Extract.
- Slowly add fresh lemon juice and watch the color change!
Cancer likes to keep it close to home and entertaining your nearest and dearest is an event you take seriously. You spend a lot of time making your abode into a welcoming sanctuary, so offering something cozy and comforting to drink is right up your alley!
Campfire Cocktail (stylemepretty.com)
- 1 marshmallow
- 1 tbsp. graham cracker crumbs
- 1 oz. vodka
- 2 oz. 2% milk
- 1 tbsp. chocolate syrup
- 2 oz. Bailey’s
- Place your marshmallow in a small pan over medium heat, and toast until browned (1-2 min).
- Rim a lowball glass w/chocolate sauce, dip immediately in graham cracker crumbs.
- Fill your cocktail shaker with ice, toss in the vodka, and Bailey’s and shake vigorously (the longer the better. It should be FREEZING cold and well agitated).
- Place 2-3 ice cubes in your glass, pour liquor mixture overtop, fill the rest of the glass with milk, top with toasted marshmallow and enjoy!
In Norse mythology, ravens were symbolic of mind, thought, and wisdom, which should speak to intellectual Scorpio. We’re never really sure what they have on their mind, but regardless of this Water sign’s mood, they relish their mysterious status. Scorpios rarely reveal their own secrets, but you might have some folks open up about theirs when you serve them this multi-layered intense concoction!
The Raven Cocktail (thespruceeats.com)
- 1 oz. vodka
- 1 oz. rum
- 1 oz. blue curacao
- 1/2 oz. Chambord
- Pour the vodka, rum, and blue curacao into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Strain into a highball glass filled with fresh ice.
- Slowly pour the Chambord over the back of a bar spoon, so it floats on top.
Dreamy Pisces loves to use their talents – you are the artists, the musicians, the poets of the zodiac you know! Embrace that desire to escape the real world and look to some fantasy cocktails to inspire your guests. Everyone will be expecting a frothy, peppermint deal – show off that creativity of yours with something completely unexpected - an iced hot buttered rum!
Pearl Diver (beachbumberry.com)
- 1/2 oz. Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz. orange juice
- Don’s Gardenia mix (see below)
- Demerara rum
- 1 1/2 oz. gold Cuban or Puerto Rican rum
- Dash of Angostura bitters
- 4 oz. crushed ice
- Don’s Gardenia Mix: Using a spatula or an electric kitchen mixer, cream 1 oz. of honey with 1 oz. of softened, unsalted butter; add 1 tsp. of cinnamon syrup, 1/2 tsp. of vanilla syrup and 1/2 tsp. of allspice liqueur. Refrigerate the remainder for up to 1 week.
- Add all ingredients to an electric blender
- Blend for 20 seconds
- Strain through a fine-mesh wire sieve into a Pearl Diver glass, pressing gently on solids to express all liquid (discard solids)
- Add ice to fill. Garnish with a geranium leaf
We hope you’re inspired by these carefully curated choices for your next holiday event! What are some of your favorite drinks?