Rock These Lucky Stones for Your Zodiac Sign
Did you think your birthstone was your only lucky stone? Think again! For the most part, birthstones are marketed by jewelers to sell those particular gems! There are many stories about the origins of birthstones, with the oldest dating back to Moses in the Bible.
Later on, those 12 stones were associated with the 12 astrological sun signs of the zodiac. There is more than one stone for each sign though, depending on different traditions and cultures. Here are your lucky stones and crystals for your zodiac sign.
- Your motto is “I Am.”
- Aries is a fire element.
- Aries is a cardinal quality.
- Aries traditionally rules the first house of the zodiac.
- Aries positive traits are passion, purpose, and confidence.
- Aries challenging traits are self-centredness, impatience, and a quick-temper.
My favorite alternative birthstone for Aries is the beautiful fire opal. This translucent stone has an opalescent glow that contains flashes of flame colors. It harnesses the qualities of the fire element and gives them an emotional connection, awakening your passion for life.
This stone can also help in developing your sense of self-expression and creativity. Fire opal helps you become more optimistic in your life and promotes confidence when you’re socializing.
- Your motto is “I Have.”
- Taurus is an earth element.
- Taurus is a fixed quality.
- Taurus traditionally rules the second house of the zodiac.
- Taurus positive traits are sensuality, compassion, and reliability.
- Taurus challenging traits are over-sensitivity, stubbornness and laziness.
A fabulous alternative birthstone for Taurus is chrysocolla. It’s called the ‘stone of communication,’ and its beautiful, near-turquoise color blends the energies of the beautiful, near-turquoise color of the heart chakra and the throat chakra, so you learn to speak from the heart. It helps you overcome your anxieties, and is a powerful ally when you feel low or despondent.
Using chrysocolla will help you determine when to speak and when to listen, and will assist you with finding truth, both in your own words and in those of others.
- Your motto is “I Think.”
- Gemini is an air element.
- Gemini is a mutable quality.
- Gemini traditionally rules the third house of the zodiac.
- Gemini positive traits are communication, flexibility, amiability.
- Gemini challenging traits are restlessness, superficiality and unreliability.
One of the best alternative birthstones for Gemini is the wonderful moss agate. It reflects the colors of the air element with its dappled milky inclusions. This isn’t a high energy stone, and many Geminis would benefit from this quality to ground their nervous energy or restless mind. This stone helps to bring peace of mind, and to calm frazzled emotions.
Moss agate is a heart chakra stone, and it helps Geminis—and others, for that matter—to learn to love themselves. It also encourages Geminis to not be too controlling in a relationship, or to allow someone to have too much control over them.
- Your motto is “I Feel.”
- Cancer is a water element.
- Cancer is a cardinal quality.
- Cancer traditionally rules the fourth house of the zodiac.
- Cancer positive traits are understanding, nurturing, and loyalty.
- Cancer challenging traits are indecision, moodiness, and melancholy.
I adore carnelian as an alternative birthstone for Cancer. It may seem like a contradiction, with Cancer being a water sign and carnelian being a fire element stone, but sometimes Cancers need that extra push so that they can find their courage and motivation.
Cancers are so sensitive and empathic that they frequently lose themselves in their water qualities, making them moody and melancholic. A good dose of root chakra energy to get them motivated again is often all it takes to light a spark under them and bring them back to life.
- Your motto is “I Will.”
- Leo is a fire element.
- Leo is a fixed quality.
- Leo traditionally rules the fifth house of the zodiac.
- Leo positive traits are gregariousness, warm-heartedness, and optimism.
- Leo challenging traits are conceit, narcissism, and jealousy.
For an alternative birthstone for Leo, you can’t go wrong with garnet. Even though it is frequently associated with the month of January, garnet is a fire element stone, and echoes Leo’s warm and gregarious nature. Leos have a lot of vitality and natural energy, and garnet harnesses those traits, directing them down more positive avenues.
Leos often set themselves up to fail by expecting everyone to be as warm and sincere as they are, and garnet helps when it comes to accepting that not everyone lives up to Leo’s high standards.
- Your motto is “I Analyze.”
- Virgo is an earth element.
- Virgo is a mutable quality.
- Virgo traditionally rules the sixth house of the zodiac.
- Virgo positive traits are sincerity, patience, and practicality.
- Virgo challenging traits are criticism, aloofness, and perfectionism.
Amethyst is often attributed to other months, but this gentle purple stone is my favorite alternative birthstone for Virgo. It’s not an accident that the Pope’s ring has an amethyst stone! This is a very spiritual and soothing stone, and most Virgos need that—they’re known for being high strung!
Ruled by Mercury, Virgos usually have a lot of mental activity going on in their heads, and amethyst helps to calm that down, so they can actually hear what their spirit is trying to tell them. Amethyst is a crown chakra stone, and promotes connection with spirit guides and ascended masters.
Related Article: Harnessing the Energy of Your Zodiac Birthstone
- Your motto is “I Balance.”
- Libra is an air element.
- Libra is a cardinal quality.
- Libra traditionally rules the seventh house of the zodiac.
- Libra positive traits are diplomacy, appreciation, and cordiality.
- Libra negative traits are indulgence, indecisiveness, and carelessness.
You’ll be hard-pressed to find a better alternative birthstone for Libra than the soothing green jasper. It’s not unusual for Libras to get attached to someone, and when this attachment becomes imbalanced or unhealthy, green jasper pours a relaxing energy into the situation. It restores rationality to the thinking process, and helps to calm ruffled emotions.
Although all jaspers are connected to the root chakra, green jasper also works with the heart chakra, replacing attachment with acceptance, bringing harmony to unbalanced emotions and feelings.
- Your motto is “I Desire.”
- Scorpio is a water element.
- Scorpio is a fixed quality.
- Scorpio traditionally rules the eighth house of the zodiac.
- Scorpio positive traits are passion, charisma, and loyalty.
- Scorpio challenging traits are possessiveness, pride, and obstinacy.
Malachite is a wonderful alternative birthstone for Scorpio. Its calming green swirls and soft texture are soothing, something that Scorpio often needs due to having such an intense and complex nature. Malachite is another heart chakra stone, and teaches the difference between passion and possessiveness, between ardor and anger, and between loving someone and dominating them.
Malachite also is a powerful ally when it comes to breaking habits—something that Scorpio might need more than other signs due to the magnitude and depth of their feelings.
- Your motto is “I Perceive.”
- Sagittarius is a fire element.
- Sagittarius is a mutable quality.
- Sagittarius traditionally rules the ninth house of the zodiac.
- Sagittarius positive traits are philosophical outlook, intellectuality, and lightheartedness.
- Sagittarius challenging traits are superficiality, restlessness, and distraction.
As an alternative birthstone for Sagittarius, obsidian is a great choice—particularly mahogany obsidian. This stone is actually a form of glass, born from lava cooling into solid form. Sagittarius is known for being naturally thoughtful and inquisitive, and this stone mirrors those qualities beautifully.
It stimulates thought and even helps to develop spiritual awareness and psychic insight. If you’re still seeking to find out the meaning of life and the purpose for your incarnation, obsidian is a great tool to have by your side.
- Your motto is “I Use.”
- Capricorn is an earth element.
- Capricorn is a cardinal quality.
- Capricorn traditionally rules the tenth house of the zodiac.
- Capricorn positive traits are stability, security, reliability.
- Capricorn negative traits are inflexibility, stubbornness, and unfeeling.
Clear quartz crystal is one of my favorite stones, and its icy clarity makes it an excellent alternative birthstone for Capricorn. Known for their cool demeanor, dislike of open displays of emotion, and their adherence to tradition and detail, Capricorns will find clear quartz to be their perfect match.
This crystal comes in a myriad of shapes, terminations, clusters, and markings, and can be programmed for nearly any purpose. Quartz is the stone to reach for when you’ve got a specific goal in mind—and anyone who loves a calculating Capricorn will know how goal-oriented they are!
- Your motto is “I Know.”
- Aquarius is an air element.
- Aquarius is a fixed quality.
- Aquarius traditionally rules the eleventh house of the zodiac.
- Aquarius positive traits are intelligence, openness, and humanitarianism.
- Aquarius challenging traits are unpredictability, unconventionality, and aloofness.
Silver is the mineral totem of Aquarius, and there’s no better stone masquerading as silver than pyrite—also called ‘iron pyrite,’ or ‘fool’s gold.’ Many Aquarians are drawn to the field of technology, and one of the qualities of pyrite is to filter out environmental toxins, such as those from computer monitors or other electronic devices.
Pyrite also guards against being fooled, and Aquarians pride themselves on their powers of discernment and their keen observation skills. Pyrite also lifts the mood, and a low mood does happen when Aquarians feel that society has disappointed them.
- Your motto is “I Believe.”
- Pisces is a water element.
- Pisces is a mutable quality.
- Pisces traditionally rules the twelfth house of the zodiac.
- Pisces positive traits are intuitiveness, creativity, and spirituality.
- Pisces challenging traits are escapism, delusion, and dependence.
Another one of my favorite stones is the stone that works as an alternative birthstone for Pisces; the beautiful turquoise. This shouldn’t be confused with dyed howlite, which some unscrupulous vendors will sell as turquoise—and it’s interesting because delusion is one of the issues that some Pisces struggle with.
The color of this stone resonates with Pisces’ watery element. Turquoise is a good luck stone, but it also lifts despondent moods and soothes panic, something that Pisces may be prone to experiencing. It also stimulates the throat chakra, so that wisdom and understanding might easily be shared with others.
Related Article: Exploring the Five Supernatural Senses: Do You Have Them?