Your May 2020 Triple-Whammy Retrograde Survival Guide
Earthlings, buckle up, it’s going to be a bumpy ride this month!
All 3 planets turn retrograde in a short period of less than 82 hours. If it feels like everything is starting to slow down right now, this is why!
What is Retrograde?
A planet is called retrograde when it appears to be moving backward through the zodiac. It’s not actually moving backward, and just appears that way from our perspective. The Sun and Moon are the only planets that never retrograde.
Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto retrograde for months at a time every year. Mercury retrogrades 3-4 times each year for a few weeks; Venus retrogrades for about 1 ½ months every 1 ½ years; and Mars retrogrades for about 2 months every 2 years.
Mercury, Venus, and Mars are the personal planets, closely tied to our personalities, so we tend to feel their retrogrades the strongest. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto retrograde can be strong if they rule your Sun, Moon, or Rising (since that’s the foundation of you as a person), or are doing some big stuff to your birth chart. Otherwise, their impact is more subtle than the personal planets.
Don’t know your birth chart? Use our free birth chart generator!
Since the planets appear to move backward, this can bring focus backward. We can look toward the past, old stuff gets brought back up, and there can be lots of reversals. This is why we see things slow down before the retrograde begins. We’re getting ready to go back!
What is Venus retrograde?
Venus is the planet of love and money, so Venus retrograde can leave us loveless and broke! Okay, just kidding (well, mostly). But these are the areas of life most often impacted by Venus retrograde. We experience relationship troubles, we see people from the past come back into our lives, we have to deal with financial issues, or we have to work on stability and security. Venus retrograde can make us more stubborn and stuck, more selfish and indulgent, more imbalanced and indecisive.
What is Jupiter retrograde?
Jupiter is the planet of expansion, so Jupiter retrograde tends to see a slowing of expansion. This is meant to make us take a step back and see what needs to be changed. In doing so, this opens us up to new opportunities once they present themselves. Blocks to expansion can be tackled, and we can work to free ourselves. This can also be a time to trust the Universe and tackle some karma.
What is Saturn retrograde?
Saturn is the planet of restriction and limitation, so Saturn retrograde can be pretty stifling, especially if the Saturn journey you’re on has been rough. You can become more aware of the way you’ve been doing things wrong, and it’s good to try to correct. If you don’t, you can feel like you’re suffocating. But if you do, and you make sure to learn lessons and be responsible, this can set you up to get on the right path for a long time to come.
If you want to really get into all of the planetary retrograde, make sure to check out the Ultimate Guide to Retrogrades!
May 2020 Triple Retrograde
Saturn starts us off, turning retrograde on May 10 in Air sign Aquarius. Saturn entered Aquarius in March, and is still very early in this sign (and will go back to Capricorn in a few months). We’re just getting a taste of what we can expect with Saturn in Aquarius, and then we have to press pause and assess. There’s likely some stuff that we haven’t completely finished off yet that needs some attention before we can fully move on.
Then comes Venus retrograde in Air sign Gemini starting May 13. Venus retrogrades entirely in Gemini, the sign of communication and expression. With Venus ruling relationships, this means communication in relationships and dealings with others will be the main target. Miscommunications, fights, misunderstandings? Check, check, check!
With Venus, it’ll be important to be a LOT more mindful of what we say and how we say it, of how we interpret what others say to us, and of how much we’re actually listening. The last thing any of us should do is talk all over each other! We may be tempted to do that during Venus retrograde, but it just makes things worse. Open your mind, and close your mouth more.
Jupiter retrograde finishes us off starting on May 14 in Earth sign Capricorn. Jupiter has been in Capricorn since December 2019, and remains so until December 2020. This can be helpful with the direction that we’re going in, and it becomes extra important to make sure we’re on the right path. This can in turn help with the Saturn retrograde.
Jupiter and Saturn retrograde can be karmic, so add in Venus, and we may also be dealing with some relationship karma during this time. Old relationship baggage, old ways of viewing relationships and how to best come together, and old relationship ideals can be challenged in some way.
Crystals for Each Retrograde: A Way to Help With Surviving Retrogrades
For the crystal-inclined, making use of crystals can be of help to channel some of this retrograde energy. Sometimes that is difficult to do, and we may feel extra dizzy this go around with the three planets turning retrograde in such a short span of time.
You don’t need to get fancy with crystals if you don’t want to. Just keep them in your pocket or purse, sleep with them under your pillow, or hold them in your hands for a few minutes each day of the retrograde.
Read this next: The Ultimate Guide to Crystal Healing
Crystals for Venus Retrograde:
- Rose Quartz: This is the love stone, so of course it’s great for working with the love planet! This crystal can be the top choice if you’re dealing with issues in existing relationships. Use the crystal to bring positive energy into the relationship itself and remove the challenges.
- Chrysocolla: This crystal can be especially helpful if you end up feeling out of balance, out of sorts, and indecisive during this retrograde. Chrysocolla calms and helps with charged emotions. It’s also a helpful stone for dealing with the dual energy of Gemini.
- Carnelian: If your relationships are having difficulties that bring out a lot of anger and rage and fighting, then carnelian is the way to go. It removes the negativity and turns it into spunk.
- Aquamarine: If communication problems plague you, Aquamarine can be incredibly helpful to have around. It not only calms the mind, but it’s also associated with both the Throat and Heart chakras, so it helps communication to be a blend of the heart and mind.
Crystals for Jupiter Retrograde:
- Lapis Lazuli: This stone is helpful for doing some of the introspective work that may be required during Jupiter retrograde. Remember, you need to slow down and see what needs to be changed, remove blocks, and resolve some karma, and this may involve being more introspective.
- Yellow Topaz: Getting on the right path is extra important with this Jupiter retrograde, and Yellow Topaz helps with exactly that. This stone helps you get in alignment with what is best for you and your life.
- Malachite: If it feels like opportunities dry up and you’re unable to expand, Malachite may be what you need. This stone prompts abundance, and helps with manifestation and intention.
- Clear Quartz: This can be helpful with the Capricorn energy, and helps with concentration on whatever has to be done. Added bonus: it can make the other crystals you use more effective!
Read this next: The Quartz Compendium - Your Ultimate Guide to Quartz
Crystals for Saturn Retrograde:
- Apache Tear: This stone is powerful for healing and protection, making it a great choice when you’re dealing with karma and limitation. It’s grounding and helps clear negative emotions.
- Kyanite: This is an interesting stone because it doesn’t keep negative energy and it works really fast. This makes it very helpful for this Saturn retrograde as we have to complete one Saturn cycle (Capricorn) before we can fully move into another (Aquarius).
- Tiger’s Eye: If you find yourself feeling extra down and out with Saturn retrograde, Tiger’s Eye can be of help. It relieves tension and helps with problem-solving.
- Angelite: Angelite is helpful for the Aquarius energy, and allows you to tap into your intuition and higher self. This stone gives guidance when you need it so you can be more confident in your path.
You’re probably already feeling the effect of this energy since it’s starting shortly, and the retrograde impact can last for a while. Venus retrogrades to the end of June, Jupiter retrogrades to mid-September, and Saturn retrogrades to the end of September.
Related Article: The Complete Guide to 2020 Retrogrades
Did you enjoy this article? Please share it with your friends!
You might also be interested in
There are myriad feelings that spring to life with the beginning of a new school year; excitement and hope for new adventures and experiences go hand in hand with anxiety,… Read Full Article »